The Washington College Department of Chemistry is one of only a few departments in the country that has an established faculty chair in Green Chemistry. The department integrates green chemistry into undergraduate courses and also highlights green chemistry as a topic for undergraduate research.
BS offered (ACS-certified and non-ACS certified) with areas of emphasis on Organic and Medicinal Chemistry, Greener Materials Science, Physical and Instrumental Chemistry, and Biophysics and Biological Chemistry.
Chemical Principles of Organic Molecules, Reactions of Organic Molecules, Chemistry of the Elements, Greener and Sustainable Chemistry, and Art in the Anthropocene: Greener Art through Greener Chemistry.
ACS Chemistry Club and Gamma Eta (Honor Society in Chemistry at WAC) have all performed green chemistry-based outreach activities with the community.
- Continue to add more green chemistry and sustainability-based experiments in many of our courses.
- Outreach in the community (Elementary, Middle, and High School)
- Connect green chemistry Concepts to Research
- Understanding the role of green chemistry in solving global challenges.
- Gain more knowledge on the cross- and inter-disciplinary nature of green chemistry.