University of Minnesota
The Department of Chemistry at the University of Minnesota incorporates green chemistry in the teaching laboratories, classroom, and research experiences. The sophomore level organic chemistry laboratory course is wholly based on introducing and illustrating modern green technologies. A stand-alone upper division green chemistry lecture course provides an interdisciplinary perspective on a diverse range of sustainability topics. Select green chemistry content can also be found in other lower and upper division courses. Seventeen faculty align research projects in the area of Environmental & Green Chemistry and train undergraduates in their labs. Overall, the department is committed to preparing graduates to address “society’s most important human health, energy, and environmental problems”.
BS, MS, Ph.D.
Honors general chemistry lecture course, organic chemistry lectures and laboratory courses, polymer chemistry lectures and laboratory course, analytical chemistry (special projects), inorganic upper division laboratory course, upper division lecture course stand-alone green chemistry, through departmental safety team (JST) resources and ACS student chapter activities. Host a green & sustainable chemistry summer workshop for high school teachers involving undergraduate students. NSF Center for Sustainable Polymers outreach efforts.
- Continue to integrate green chemistry concepts throughout the curriculum
- Form collaborative green chemistry projects between courses
- Increase awareness of the connection of green chemistry’s contribution to safety
- Increase availability of green solvents in department stockroom
- Form a departmental green chemistry committee
- Earn a Green Chemistry Student Chapter Award
- Develop and publish green chemistry curriculum materials for adoption by other institutions
Beyond Benign Webinar Archive: Modernizing the Organic Chemistry Laboratory with Green Chemistry Webinar
NSF Center for Sustainable Polymers Chemistry Lab Curriculum: https://csp.umn.edu/labs/
JST Chemistry and CEMS Joint Safety Team Resources: http://www.jst.umn.edu/resources/green-chemistry