During the 2022-2023 school year, Beyond Benign launched a monthly K-12 professional development series called “Observe, Wonder, Think: A Green Chemistry Interactive Webinar Series”. This series was designed to bring the green chemistry community together to advance the field and share ideas and resources to inspire students through green chemistry.
The ongoing objective is to encourage and help educators create safer, more engaging learning environments by integrating green chemistry and sustainable science principles into their classrooms. Following NGSS best practice techniques, the webinar series supports K-12 educators in fostering the idea of “Observe, Wonder, Think!” with their students. Presenters demonstrate hands-on labs and highlight real-world green chemistry technologies. Beyond Benign hosts educational leaders who are actively practicing green chemistry in their classrooms as they walk through their favorite green chemistry labs and experiments. The series is intended to be interactive, allowing time for breakout sessions, Q&A and networking opportunities.
The inaugural webinar series saw 20 – 35 participants for each webinar, including members from the K-12 and higher education communities as well as industry professionals for a cumulative total of 274 registered attendees. 13 guest lecturers discussed no less than 7 topics, including curriculum support, social justice and cultural relevance. We had representation from 33 states and 26 countries spanning 6 continents.
Beyond Benign would like to extend our gratitude to the following “Observe, Wonder, Think” presenters from the 2022 – 2023 season. Click the links to watch a recording of each session.
- NCW/Fabulous Fabrics
- Annette Sebuyira, Certified Lead Teacher, Beyond Benign
- Sustainability in Elementary Education//Plate to Planet
- Veronica Weeks, Lead Teacher, Beyond Benign, Bretton Woods Elementary
- Bob Baldo, Certified Lead Teacher, Beyond Benign
- Laura Kliman, Director, New Product Development, Impossible Foods
- Culturally Relevant Teaching in Chemistry
- Raksmey Derival, Certified Lead Teacher, Beyond Benign, Innovation Academy
- Dr. Rasheda Likely, Kennesaw State University
- Understanding Hazards with Students
- Nina Meltzer, Lead Teacher, Beyond Benign, Quincey High School
- Stefanie Loomis, Lead Teacher, Beyond Benign, Catskill Sr. High School
- Aligning your practice with Green Chemistry
- Ken Hoffman, Lead Teacher, Beyond Benign
- Scott Carlson, Certified Lead Teacher, Beyond Benign, W.H. Maxwell H.S.
- Sustainable Invention
- Greg Sloan, Lead Teacher, Beyond Benign, Woodrow Wilson M.S.
- Erin Mayer, Lead Teacher, Beyond Benign, Casey M.S.
- Green Chemistry Teaching and Learning Community
- Jonathon Moir, Project Manager, GCTLC, Beyond Benign
Please plan to join us in the fall as we continue the “Observe, Wonder, Think” webinar series next school year. Sign up for emails to be the first to know when registration opens.
Watch all recorded sessions of “Observe, Wonder, Think” here.