- This event has passed.
Exploring Innovative Solutions to Environmental Challenges Through Green Chemistry, Biomimicry and Real World Technologies
July 15, 2019 @ 8:30 am - July 19, 2019 @ 3:30 pm
Beyond Benign is working in partnership with the Wade Institute for Science Education to lead the 2019 North Central Summer Professional Development Institute.
Partners: Fitchburg State University; The Revolving Museum; Harvard Forest; Mass Audubon’s Wachusett Meadow Wildlife Sanctuary
Dates: July 15-19; June 22 On-Site Introductory Session; Call-back dates will be set during the course
Cost: $425 per participant ($400 per participant if attending in a team with another teacher from your district; $375 per participant if attending in a team with 2 or more other teachers from your district)
PDPs: 40 PDPs are available without graduate credit.
Optional Graduate Credit: Fitchburg State University – 3 credits and 67.5 PDPs, $295
Optional Housing: Fitchburg State University for $45/night (max 4 nights)
• Discover how green chemistry, the science of creating safe, energy efficient and non-toxic processes and products, is providing sustainable solutions for the environmental challenges facing our society today.
• Explore how biomimicry applications are informing the design of everyday items, including safer hair dyes and surfaces that prevent bacteria from growing, to build awareness of environmental issues.
• Gain an understanding of how Harvard Forest gathers and uses real-time data to investigate how forests are helping in the fight against climate change.
• Visit the Eco-Art Mobile to learn how this tool is being used to build environmental awareness around the issue of ocean plastics.
• Examine how industry and academia are working to understand climate change and design materials to use excess carbon dioxide.
• Build your understanding of the environmental challenges associated with plastics.
• Investigate how agricultural waste and mushroom mycelium can be used to create alternative materials used in the manufacture of anything from packing to lamp shades.
Interested in learning about other STEM Institutes happening this summer with WADE? Check out this brochure!