Beyond Benign is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to foster a green chemistry education community that empowers educators to transform chemistry education for a sustainable future. Beyond Benign is seeking a professional individual for a new position as Database Coordinator. The incumbent will be responsible for the management of the community database and day-to-day technical operation of the Green Chemistry Teaching and Learning Community (GCTLC) online platform as well as reporting for the organization. Launching in summer/fall 2023, the GCTLC will be a virtual community space based in Drupal and CiviCRM where educators, students and industry partners can search for green chemistry education materials, create user profiles, post in forums, join groups, give and receive mentorship, share curriculum and educational resources, find upcoming events and job postings related to green chemistry, and so much more.
The Database Coordinator will work under the supervision of the Senior Program Manager and in partnership with other members of the Beyond Benign team to ensure the smooth operation and long-term sustainability of the GCTLC platform.
- Analyze and catalogue Beyond Benign’s existing databases, including resources, spreadsheets, etc., in preparation for migration to the new GCTLC platform.
- Assist in the migration of large datasets to the new GCTLC database.
- Oversee the stewardship and long-term health of the GCTLC database of users, institutions, content, and information.
- Design, create and manage reports for fundraising, grant-writing, and annual reporting in support of Beyond Benign’s programs and the GCTLC.
- Assist in the technical aspects of testing, soft/hard launch, and maintenance of the platform.
- Develop and maintain documentation and standards.
- Identify and resolve production and/or application development problems related to the use of the database management system software or utilities.
- Provide technical support and assistance to GCTLC users through answering technical questions, troubleshooting, and more.
- Perform editing, basic maintenance and some minor development of GCTLC functional components.
- Create custom dashboards, new web pages, and more within the combined Drupal/CiviCRM system for the GCTLC.
- Liaise with the GCTLC’s technology vendor and host to ensure alignment with priorities, timelines, and deliverables as part of the platform’s launch, maintenance and evolution.
- Become the organizational expert in Drupal, CiviCRM, Google Analytics, and other software systems related to the operation and growth of the GCTLC as well as related to organizational reporting requirements.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
We encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our described qualifications or if you have a less traditional background.
- Bachelor’s degree in Science, Business Administration, Statistics, Mathematics, Accounting, Engineering or Computer Science or equivalent work experience required.
- Must have a minimum of 1 year of experience in data processing or database management systems and ideally experience with developing and/or managing Customer Relationship Management (CRM) databases/systems.
- Must have strong data analysis, organizational and data stewardship skills. Experience in website design and development is strongly desired.
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills are essential.
- Must have demonstrated ability to plan, execute, and track metrics for multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be a strong team player, collaborative, willing to contribute to all team projects, and able to understand and respond to the needs of the organization and the education community.
- Must be eager to learn, connect with others, ask questions, and align with Beyond Benign’s values and mission.
- 1-2 years of project management experience is desired.
- Experience using Drupal, WordPress and/or other website development software is strongly desired.
- Experience using CiviCRM is desired, but experience using other CRM systems will also be considered.
- Experience working in small dynamic organizations, the not-for-profit sector, and/or in academia/with educators is preferred.
- An understanding of accessibility needs in website design and database management is strongly preferred.
We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with diverse identities to this position; including but not limited to: sex, gender identity, gender expression, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, Indigenous identity, invisible and/or visible disabilities, cultural and/or religious upbringing, nationality, socio-economic status, body size and appearance, and/or intersections of these identities.
Terms: This is a full-time, 18-month contract position with the possibility of extension depending on funding and performance. The incumbent will be supervised by the Senior Program Manager for the GCTLC. Please note that this position is only open to applicants based in the U.S. and Canada.
Compensation: Salary is negotiable and will be based on experience and qualifications. Benefits package/PTO available.
Start Date: Preferred start date is February 1, 2023. Review of applications will begin December 19, 2022 and will continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Apply: E-mail cover letter, resume and inquires to email@example.com.
About Beyond Benign:
Beyond Benign a 501(c)3 nonprofit, envisions a world where the chemical building blocks of products used every day are healthy and safe for humans and the environment. Beyond Benign’s mission is to foster a green chemistry community that empowers educators to transform chemistry education for a sustainable future. Beyond Benign is working to equip educators from K-20 with the ability to teach chemistry and STEM through a lens of sustainability grounded in the 12 principles of green chemistry. By providing educators with tools, training and a peer support networks, educators are equipped to train the next generation of scientists and citizens with the skills and knowledge to create and choose products that are safe for human health and the environment.
While our organization advocates for green chemistry education, we recognize that advocating for everyone to practice green chemistry, is not possible without consideration of the current discrimination and systemic barriers that affect members of the global chemistry community. Beyond Benign is fully committed to continuing and expanding our actions to support diversity, equity, belonging and respect in all that we do. We believe that making green chemistry accessible to all means practicing our work through a lens of diversity, equity, belonging, and respect (DEBR). This means respect and engagement for everyone in our organization, along with ensuring equity in areas such as compensation, benefits and career growth and opportunities. Diversity, equity and belonging together result in a better and stronger organization. Read our DEBR Statement and Commitments here.
Co-founded in 2007 by Dr. John Warner, the co-founder of the field of green chemistry, and Dr. Amy Cannon, who holds the world’s first Ph.D. in Green Chemistry, Beyond Benign has an extensive history of service. Over the past 15 years, Beyond Benign has trained over 6,500 K-12 teachers in sustainable science and green chemistry, designed over 200 open-access lessons, reached over 35,000 youth and community members through outreach, & partnered with over 100 universities to transform chemistry education. Together we can catalyze the development of green technological innovations that result in safer products and processes in support of a sustainable, healthy society.